Saving Our Planet
Laudato Si’, “On Care for Our Common Home” , is the encyclical published by Pope Francis on May 24, 2015 and released to the public on June 18, the same year. The encyclical urges us to cultivate and care for the earth as God intended, and the Holy Father offered the following suggestions of how that could be done.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle
- Cut pollutants and greenhouse gas emissions
- Promote green construction with energy-efficient homes and buildings
- Protect clean, safe drinking water
- Keep oceans and waterways clean and safe from pollutants; use biodegradable detergents
- Avoid synthetic pesticides and herbicides which hurt birds and insects that are helpful for agriculture
- Protect biodiversity, especially wild forests, wetlands, coastal areas, mangrove swamps
- Promote smart growth. Tackle noise and “visual pollution”, and save cities’ cultural treasures.
Always keep in mind that our God has given us this planet to live on, to grow in love on, to use, not mis-use.
There are so many ways that we, as conscientious Catholic Christians, can care for and protect the earth we live on and enjoy and protect the animals that God placed on this earth, saving them from extinction, leaving a cleaner, greener, healthier planet for our children and grandchildren to enjoy.
In the coming weeks and months, I hope to bring more information to you on “Saving Our Planet”, the gift of our loving Father.